Friday, November 16, 2012

Those "extreme" shows

It started with Extreme Couponing, then came Hoarding, Buried Alive and now Extreme Cheapskates. In this post I'll be addressing Extreme Couponing.

I'll admit I was excited by the prospect of a show all about couponing. I've been known to go to extremes in my frugalness so this was right up my alley.

I was dismayed to see couponers portrayed as greedy and self serving. I also was appalled at the excessive stockpiles so large they took over living space and could not possibly be consumed prior to expiration. On the flip side, kudos to those on the show that donated these items to charity.

I have yet to find a store that would allow me to use 100 like coupons. In my experience the limit is generally 4. To me it seemed as though the stores portrayed were abusing thier own policies in order to gain television exposure.

It is unrealistic for the average couponer to consistently save 90 or 100 percent each time they shop. This may be a reality show but it is definitely not the real world, at least not the one I live in.

Aside from the blatant bending of the rules the savings are inflated. At the end of the segment they show the percentage saved but they fail to factor in the costs associated with acquiring the coupons or the value of the persons time. Some of these people spend upwards of 60 hours per week pursuing these "deals". So how much are they really saving?

These types of shows, in my opinion, glorify obsessive compulsive behavior and set a horrible example for anyone new to couponing.

On average I save 45% on groceries and household products spending approximately 2 hours per week preparing for my shopping trips. I don't clear shelves though I do stockpile by buying enough to carry me through to the next sale cycle of an item.

I believe couponing is a valuable tool toward achieving financial goals but don't expect to bring home half the store for under a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment