Monday, November 12, 2012

Magazines and Coca Cola

There's a reason they sell magazine racks that hook on the back of the toilet, most people like to read in there and I'm no exception.  What I don't like is paying for reading material so I found a way to stock my bathroom with a little light reading for free. 

Brad and I both work outside in neighborhoods whose inhabitants have yet to master the trashcan jumpshot.  Lots of trash hits the ground providing us with the means to get free magazines. 

Coca Cola has a program called MyCokeRewards.  In a nutshell, each bottle of a Coca Cola product has a code inside the plastic cap, that code can be entered at MyCokeRewards, codes can then be redeemed for various items.  The plastic caps are worth 3 points, the 12 pack carton is worth 10.  Up to 130 points can be entered at their site each week. 

So when I see a discarded coke product I pick it up, screw off the cap and throw the bottle in the trash can.  This accomplishes two things.  I've helped to clean up the neighborhood which makes where I work a more pleasant environment and I've gotten a free 3 point code. 

 One year of Popular Mechanics is 200 points, which works out to 67 3 point caps or 20 12 pack codes.  By getting it free I've saved $12.00 per year.
You're not limited to magazines, Rewards come in many forms.  There are baseball caps, coupons for food products, movie passes, household items, electronics and even gift cards.  If you don't want to profit from the codes you can also donate them to a charitable cause.
It can also be used as a money maker.  We redeem codes each year for Coca Cola branded baseball caps.  We easily get $5 for each one during our annual Trash to Cash yard sale. 
Now get out there and clean up the neighborhood, it's a win/win situation!


No comments:

Post a Comment